What information do we collect?
We only collect and store the personal data that you permitted us to collect and store. We will only collect and store personal data that are absolutely required for the purpose these data should serve. The amount and the nature of these data depend on the services you allow us to use these data for; please see the table below.
|Purpose||Required data||External party involved|
|Membership payment by credit card||
|Membership payment by bank/wire transfer||
|Event payment by credit card||
|Event payment by bank/wire transfer||
|Providing specific, tailored information regarding your field of expertise, or region of research focus and activity||
Use of data by external parties
The UMMAA has selected well-known partners to support the services and activities of the UMMAA. The UMMAA has ascertained that these partners will be compliant with the PDPA.
Current partners are:
MASTERCARD and visa
MasterCard or Visa payment system is used for the payment of membership dues via credit card. Name and credit card details are only used by MasterCard or Visa to complete the payment and are not stored by the UMMAA. When performing payment via MasterCard or Visa, you accept the policies set by MasterCard or Visa (see https://www.mastercard.com/en-ke/about-mastercard/what-we-do/privacy.html or https://usa.visa.com/legal/global-privacy-notice.html).
CIMB and maybank
Shinjiru Technology Sdn. Bhd.
Shinjiru Technology Sdn. Bhd. (Shinjiru) is a Web Hosting Malaysia Provider that hosts the UMMAA website on its servers and UMMAA contents are managed by Muhammad Akhbar. Although Shinjiru has server access for IT maintenance purposes, it is not provided with access to any personal data you provide. Also, Shinjiru has no login details that give direct access to any stored data. Shinjiru is PDPA-compliant (see https://www.shinjiru.com.my/pdpa-policy/)
University of Malaya (Pusat teknologi maklumat)
Pusat Teknologi Maklumat, Universiti Malaya (PTM) hosts the UMMAA domain and as such provides the infrastructure to enable the UMMAA Secretariat to perform its duties. In consequence, PTM’s IT-support staff will have access to the hardware used by the UMMAA domain. The IT-support staff will however not be provided with access to any personal data of UMMAA-members and/or -contacts. PTM is PDPA-compliant (see https://ptm.um.edu.my/um-ict-policy-rules-amp-guidelines).
Third party access
We will not provide your data to any other third party without your explicit written prior consent.
Right of disclosure/right of change
As the data we store are your own personal date, you, of course, have the right to ask which data we have stored and to request desired and/or required changes to the stored data. In order to execute this right, please send an e-mail to the UMMAA Secretariat (alumni.fom[at]um.edu.my) via the e-mail address you are registered with the UMMAA. We will follow up on your request as soon as possible, but at the latest within 30 days after receiving your request.
Right to be forgotten
In case you want your data removed from our databases, you can use two options:
- If you only want your e-mail address removed from our newsletter mailing database, you can use the Unsubscribe-link in the footer of any UMMAA-Newsletter.
- If you also want any additional data you provided us with removed from our databases, please send an e-mail to the UMMAA Secretariat (alumni.fom[at]um.edu.my) via the e-mail address you are registered with the UMMAA. We will follow up on your request as soon as possible, but in any case within 30 days after receiving your request.
Please note that removing your data from the membership database will also end your membership; however, this will not imply any right of restitution of membership fees nor the cancellation of membership fees due at that moment.
How long will we keep your data?
We will keep your data no longer than necessary or as required by legal obligation. This means the following:
- Data provided by you to the UMMAA for sending you the newsletter, sending you specific, tailored information, or for networking purposes will be removed from our databases within 30 days after we have received your request.
- Data required to manage your membership of the UMMAA will be stored until ultimately 2 years after your membership expires.
- Computers and internet connections used for handling your data are and will be secured as well as is feasibly possible against hacking, malware, and use by unauthorized persons. The UMMAA Secretariat will use all security measures provided by the host institution, i.e. Shinjiru and PTM.
- Access to personal data is only allowed to UMMAA-functionaries on a need-to-know basis and access will be limited to only the data required to perform the action and/or to deliver the requested service, provided this use has been permitted by you.
- All persons authorized to access any personal data will be bound by a confidentiality agreement not to disclose this information to persons not having authorization to access these data.
- Daily server back-ups of all data are made in order to be able to restore any damage caused by material or technical incidents.
Our website automatically stores technical data when you use the website. These data are non-personal and anonymous and not retrievable to individuals.
Our websites use functional and analytic cookies. These cookies are used to improve the performance of the website and to analyze how the website is being utilized by its visitors. These cookies are anonymous. Cookies are also used anonymously in our newsletters to analyze the results of mailing campaigns. For more information about cookies follow this link. Please also note the references to social media cookies below.
Please also note that the UMMAA cannot bear responsibility for any use by third parties of any information made public via the UMMAA website. Please note that the major part of the UMMAA website is published via Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. However, in case of any alleged infringements or improper use, we suggest you contact the UMMAA Secretariat via alumni.fom[at]um.edu.my, so we can contact the parties involved.
In case of emergencies
Remarks, suggestions, complaints
In case of any suggestions, remarks, or complaints regarding the handling of your personal data, we kindly ask you to contact the UMMAA Secretariat via alumni.fom[at]um.edu.my. We will then try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Changes to this policy